Sunday, 24 June 2012

The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea M. Campbell




 So, first of all, I absolutely LOVE this book. I ordered it twice and I only ended up getting it the third time, but it was so worth the wait!!
The Rise of Renegade X was, quite easily, the funniest YA book I've read. 


In a world full of superheroes and supervillains, when you turn sixteen you get either an H (for hero) or a V (for villain) on your thumb. And that's what you train to be from then on. 
But on his sixteenth birthday, Damien's thumb got an X.

Damien is a hilarious and engaging character, the dialogue was flawless, and Chelsea Campbell managed to make clichés feel original. 

There were a few passages that felt a bit rushed, but honestly I loved the writing so much that not only do I forgive everything, I actually ask for more.

DAMIEN: You guys I'm so awesome. Seriously, you guys. Kanye would look at me and be like, "This kid needs to be more humble" but I can't because, you guys, you guys... look at me. Look at me.

EVIL SCIENTIST MOTHER: Damien, are you ready for your birthday party where a V (for villain) will appear on your thumb and you can go study at villain university?

DAMIEN: Mom. Mom. The question is: Is the party ready for me? Is university ready for me? In fact... is the universe ready for me. They can't be because... look at me. Look at me.

DAMIEN'S THUMB: "X"

DAMIEN: WHAT IS THIS HIDEOUS DEFORMITY IN A VESSEL OF PERFECTION HOW CAN THIS MAR MY BEAUTY AND GENERAL AMAZINGNESS? THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN A KID IS HALF-VILLAIN/HALF-HERO AND THAT CAN'T BE BECAUSE... MOTHER?

EVIL SCIENTIST MOTHER: IDK WHY YOU ARE LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT, IT'S NOT AS IF I FUCKED YOUR FATHER, SOME KIND OF REVOLTINGLY SUPER NICE DO GOODER LET'S GO TO CHURCH SAVE KITTENS MAKE CHILDREN'S TV SHOWS ON SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SAVE HUMANITY BECAUSE HE'S THIS TOWN'S GREATEST HERO, IN A FILTHY SUBWAY BATHROOM.

DAMIEN: ...gross.

CAPTAIN AMERICA-SUPERMAN HERO DAD: So remember kids! Always look both ways before crossing the road! And now, let's hear some calls about safety from our adorable viewers!

DAMIEN: So, Captain America-Superman Hero, I have a hypothetical scenario question about safety here: say you're chasing this foxy villain lady, say you both end up in a filthy subway bathroom, say you fuck her without a condom. Do you now have to burn your dick to stave the revolting nastiness of FUCKING IN A FILTHY SUBWAY BATHROOM WITH AN EVIL STRANGER WITHOUT A CONDOM, or do you think it's too late and your dick's already ruined?

CAPTAIN AMERICA-SUPERMAN HERO DAD: *sweat-drop* Hahaha... And now a word from our sponsors.

GO READ IT!!!

Chelsea M. Campbell's The Rise of Renegade X

@ The Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide)

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top