Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Ilona Andrews' Gunmetal Magic



I liked it, it was a great addition to the series. I honestly prefer Andrea and Raphael to Kate and Curran.
This is actually a 3.5. It would be a 4 but I couldn't help but compare it to Magic Dreams... Magic Dreams was a definite 5 - not for the characters, exactly, Ilona Andrews's characters are all amazing, but the atmosphere, the mythology, the pace, everything was superior in Magic Dreams.
I'm probably being unfair, because had I read this one before it would get a higher rating.

But enough boring talk.

I felt the pacing was uneven in this one, it dragged for a bit at times. The villain was also a bit meh for me.
Other than that everything was great, as I said, I love Andrea and Raphael - Kate's past always tends to make me feel a bit disconnected from her, it's too much, too unbelievable (yeah, this is fantasy, but there are limits...), she's too awesome, sometimes going dangerously near Mary-Sue territory, the same with Curran. Andrea's past seems painfully real, she's easier to relate to. In fact, all of this series' secondary characters tend to feel more realistic than the protagonists. That's not to say I dislike Kate, I like her, she's by far the best heroine in current urban fantasy because she might be the only one who doesn't get those "too stupid to live" moments that tend to plague the genre, but you give me a taste of excellence in the book, you can't fault me for favouring it.
On that note I'd love it if Doolittle got his own book. But let's be real, I'll buy anything Ilona Andrews writes.


Ilona Andrews' official website

Buy Gunmetal Magic:

@ The Book Depository (with free shipping worldwide)

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top