Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick


"Seventeen-year-old Alex is hiking through the wilderness when it happens: an earth-shattering electromagnetic pulse that destroys almost everything.
Survivors are divided between those who have developed a superhuman sense and those who have acquired a taste for human flesh. These flesh-hunters stalk the land: hungry, ruthless and increasingly clever...
Alex meets Tom, a younge army veteran, and Ellie, a lost girl. They will fight together and be torn apart, but Alex must face the most difficult question of all:
In such a vastly changed world, who can you trust?"


I really liked Alex and Tom, but omg that kid! Just, bye already! Be on your way! I love kids and I didn't even feel bad about this one being taken away.

The story was a 4 for most of it - I really felt for Alex, I had a brain tumour too, and a lot of what she said hit me really hard. Plus there were really wonderful bits of writing in this book, yeah, it was too gory for YA, but it was well done. And I'm a sucker for stories about surviving in the wild. Plus there was Tom - finally(!) a non-creepy romantic interest with his priorities straight and the romance not taking over the plot!

But then it just went to the old cliché of the post-apocalyptic religious cult and I don't know if it's because I've been reading so many dystopias lately but that particular development starts becoming really tiresome. Add to that the pseudo-love triangle born of Stockholm syndrome and I'm not sure if I'll read the next one (which I hear is a multi-POV mess, anyway).


Ilsa J. Bick's official site

Buy Ashes
@ The Book Depository (with free worldwide deliver!) 

Add to your Goodreads
Ashes 

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top