Saturday, 5 October 2013

The Cursed Existence of Jessalyn Bell by Katie Lynn Johnson







Arc provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

First of all, I should probably mention that I hadn't finished a book in such a short amount of time... in ages!!

This was definitely an addictive reading! It's almost four o'clock in the morning, but I just couldn't go the sleep before finishing this.
In this tale, author Katie Lynn Johnson gives us a perfect combination of smooth writing, and compelling/likable characters, that just feel as real as one can get in the literary world.

In this contemporary romance, sprinkled with humor, life isn't easy for Jessalyn, our main character.
In fact, some could say, she seems a little bit... unlucky or even... cursed.

I've been debating with myself, whether this is a four star rating, or a three and a half. In fact, throughout most of the book, I was thinking that this book would be a solid four... and it is, for most of the time.
Jessalyn is one of the most mature characters I've ever met in our days. She's a twenty three year old independent young woman. She has a job and an apartment. She has a sane and healthy relationship with her family, with her best friend, and give it time, with her boyfriend.

Throughout all the story we see Jessalyn having to deal with numerous problems: When we meet her, she's just starting a new job that isn't exactly her dream job. Then due to some confusion, she ends up arrested by the police (although that will bring some interesting developments!), then gets fired again! Has an accident due to some cursed glasses! Finds out that her parents' lives aren't as wonderful as she thought they were...
Gets food poisoning (couldn't she sue the restaurant?), has a crying fit in front of a cute guy... has an unlucky encounter with a jellyfish (okay, here she can't sue the little bastard!), gets robbed by the hospital (those fees are just unbelievable!), gets fired from her part time job, her car gets stolen... and so on and on...
But you know what?
This never became ridiculous!
 Jessalyn just kept living her life (okay, sometimes having a little too much too drink... but NEVER on a Bridget Jones level, if you get what I mean... although she could start considering ice cream!!) and doing what she had to do. Even when she didn't want to.

Another thing that I really liked, was the way the romance was dealt with. It's so good, when I don't feel as if the characters would be better placed in an asylum than on the pages of some random book!!
Honestly! Thumbs up for mental health considerations!

So, why not the four stars?
Right... you know the part where I mentioned they respected one another?
Yes, well there was a tiny little problem, that really undermined my ability to regard one of the characters as a reliable one
All of a sudden, the author pulled the rug from under my feet, and I was left perplexed by the turn of events.
So, what now?
Does this mean it was all a fraud?
I imagine that wasn't the author's idea... but creating a precedent like that can become dangerous: all of a sudden the reader can start questioning everything that happened previously to that incident.

I guess, in the end, I really needed something more... maybe another chapter to tie things up... some serious explanations, some definite grovelling, wouldn't be too much, considering all that happened. *

But even so, I really enjoyed the story, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who's looking for a cute contemporary romance.
Also as a side note, I have to say that, as a reader, I really like the title. Catchy :)

* It appears i spoke too soon,  because there's going to be a second book (YAY) featuring the apparently still cursed Jessalyn Bell!
Good news!


Author Official Site

Buy "The Cursed Existence of Jessalyn Bell"
@amazon.com

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top