Monday, 30 December 2013

Firelight (Darkest London #1) by Kristen Callihan




I read this book at the beginning of 2013. And as usual, every time I start a new series, I had high expectations regarding it.
Things looked promising, and as a matter of fact, almost every single review that I read about it was extremely positive. Always something to take into consideration...
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to connect with the plot and characters of this story.

First, the mystery wasn't able to engage me, and after awhile even Ben and Miranda's (our main characters) relationship became dull, and boring. There was some sweet occasional moments between them, therefore the two star rating...

Regarding Archer's curse, well, I love urban fantasy, and I've read the most convoluted plots, but to buy that predicament  (even thought its nothing major) I needed more background, I needed something more.
It was a little: Where did this came from? From a sci-fi scenario?

Then there were some vague references to Druids that could explain his situation... once again, it didn't work for me.
 For that, more explanations were definitely needed.

As to this being a "Beauty and the Beast" retelling, well, it was a somewhat weak one.
Maybe if the hero had had more spunk, and the heroine less "feisty... ness", I would have liked their romance a little more.

I have nothing to point regarding the writing, and although this wasn't a favourite, I believe many paranormal romance readers will enjoy this.
For the ones  who, such as me, were expecting something a little more urban fantasy oriented, this is probably not the best book to start this series.

I may even give the second book a try, since it came to my notice that the readers who loved the first one disliked the second one...
So, following that logic, maybe I will end up enjoying the second volume! :)

Author's Official Site

Buy "Firelight"
@bookdepository.com (With Free Worldwide Delivery!)

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top