Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer

 

  • Isa's Review:




The only reason this is getting 3.5 stars is purely a matter of preference on my part - the book is good and anyone who liked the other ones so far will love it!
It's just I don't care much for multiple POVs - I know, inevitable with all these characters, and I even wanted to know what was going on with all of them! - but every time I really started to get into someone's story the book would switch to someone else.
I need to be really invested in the characters for a story to work, and I was fairly invested in most of them, due to the previous books, but it was still frustrating!

So let me go more into each character in the story:

Cinder - I really like Cinder and, obviously she wasn't in the book as much as I wished her to be, since it was Cress and Thorne's book, but even so there was so much happening in her story! Too much! Because I felt like we never really got into what she was really feeling about it all. We were told how she was feeling which... is not the same thing.

Kai - I am sorry but he is boring, dumb, and so far mostly useless and I can't, for the life of me, even remember what Cinder saw in him.

Iko - Barely there comic relief :(

Scarlet and Wolf - HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILERS So frustrating!!! I wanted more from these two! Instead, Scarlet is taken away and Wolf spends most of the book unconscious! END SPOILERS

Thorne - Whenever we started going a bit deeper into his character, the POV would switch. Luckily, I really liked him from the previous books, otherwise I would have ended up giving up on this book.

Cress - I LOVE Cress! She deserved a book devoted to her, and I mean really devoted to her, not as this one was. Still, she was the most developed character in the book, as she should be. And I loved it, she was a whole deconstruction on the damsel in distress, the willing damsel in distress, because she wanted to live life the way she'd dreamed it, and even when things didn't go her way, she just adapted her dreams to fit. And I think that's just as powerful as the more usual strong female characters: one who dreams of being the princess waiting for her prince in her story and sticks to it, because that dream is as valid as the one of being the lady-warrior who saves the world.

The other characters were barely there, and were mostly clichés of incompetence (Torin), or wise mothers (Priya), scientists who were ~evil~ but are now redeemed (Dr. Erland), and evil because she's evil Queen Levana.

That is not to say this isn't a good book, I know I repeat myself, but I must.
I read it all in one go, it's extremely addictive, it moved the plot along, you got to see all of the characters, and no character was badly written.
It's just... at 560 pages, I wanted more...



  • Susana's Review:



Third book in the acclaimed Lunar Chronicles, Cress, opens the road for upcoming characters, new adventures, and non stop action sprinkled with a touch of romance (very sparse), and a large cup of drama...

Cress, inspired by Rapunzel's fairy tale, is that girl you want to be friends with!
She's charming, an optimist, has a sunny disposition... and tech talk is her a, b, c...
She has been living all alone on a satellite for seven years now, and that takes a toll on the poor girl... who doesn't have access to any cutting implements!
Yes, true to Rapunzel most prominent characteristic, that means that she has a LOT of hair... besides that, she also has a severe crush on infamously famous Cpt. Thorne. But we won't hold that against her.
Poor girl. She would have to fangirl about something or someone, right?


What could go wrong with such a story, right?
Well, first of all, Cress and Thorne, _who I thought would be the main characters _ don't have a lot of "show time" in this story! I know :/
Which is strange, because this story is quite long...
Of course the author is juggling quite a large number of plots and characters up in this book... and well, some are more interesting than others.
*Cough* Scarlet and Wolf...

Basically I felt like I was reading a Mission Impossible version of the Lunar chronicles! And Cinder was a Tom Cruise in training, lol
I like adventure (therefore my rating) but romance is also a big part of this series. And well, I missed two characters immensely!!!!!!!
I understand why it happened (one had to pave the road for the appearance of a main character in Winter, and the other had to be used to show Cinder's development?).
But honestly?
This is one of those times in which the author's creative process clashed with my expectations!!
Here I was, expecting some big emotional declarations, and instead what I got was...


Imagine the exchange of emails, and me writing something along the lines of:
 "_ISA, I AM AT THE PART WHERE______$#&E&URFU!!!!!"

So, yes that was a huge disappointment. Even more so, because I had been re-reading the previous two books, so I was definitely in the mood for some very needed mushy romance!! 

Then the problem with action "movies" is that they don't allow much for character development!
I wanted more Cress "time"! The girl has been having a pretty lousy life! I'm admired at her resistance in this story. Aka, she's so sane! o_O

I wanted to know more of what's behind Thorne's easy smile.

On the other side, there's a lot of Cinder in this book (lol) which I had no problem with, because I like her character.
Would like her even more if she hadn't fallen for Prince Kai *the boring one*.
Prince Kai _the one with the chocolate dreamy eyes... wait, am I mixing Grey's Anatomy with Thorne description of the prince?_ continues to be his same old *not interesting* self.
OH, my God! Even Tuxedo Mask with his ~killer dashing red roses~ was more interesting than this "dude"!!!
I know he's a prince, and therefore not very interesting, but this is fantasy!! He could have done more than... look at the ceiling, lie on the couch, watch the lake... and tousle his hair? o_O

Bottom Line:
Of course I liked this!!
I love the characters. All of them... minus Kai!
Nice flow to the story. No plot-holes! Which can't be easy considering the "vastness" of characters and plot routes created in this story!
The only downside, for me, was that due to the story's great length, it lost that sense of urgency _ that for instance Scarlet had _ that turns readers into book zombies!
That is not to say, that I'm not dying to get my hands on Winter!!!
Because I am!!



Buy "Cress"
bookdepository.com (With Free Woldwide Delivery!)

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top