Sunday, 23 March 2014

My Lady, My Lord by Katharine Ashe




I was in sore need of a light-hearted, funny read - the further removed from any events that could happen in my life, the better, which is why historical romance is the best genre for these moods.

As it turns out, My Lady, My Lord was not only the perfect historical romance, it also possesses a twist that allows it to cross into another genre - which was a delightful surprise!

Lord Ian Chance is the consummate rake: fast horses, gaming hells, and beautiful women are his favourite pastimes. Aside from annoying Lady Corinna, whom he's known from childhood and whose father's estate borders his.
Lady Corinna spends her time setting up gatherings of the most brilliant minds of her time, the perfect hostess, a paragon of virtue, if not the ideal of femininity what with her ideas of scientific exploration, literary analysis of the classics, and her dream of owning her very own publisher. 
It galls her to no end that she is positively incapable of leashing in her tongue when it comes to Ian. There is no meeting between them that does not devolve into bitter quarreling. 

I'm not going to give away the twist, it's a very uncommon one in HR, at least I'd never encountered it before in this genre (though I must say, it's a very popular one in fanfiction...). 
Suffice to say, it makes for extremely amusing reading!

I really liked the fact that Corinna was 29 years old, a confirmed spinster, and yet not preoccupied with this. She'd had offers of marriage, good offers at that, and she refused them. She's not even dreaming of the ideal husband and saving herself for him. She's just content with her life. It makes for a nice change in HR.
I also liked how Ian was a rake - a nice one at that, but in HR there is a tendency to have the reader discover how the rake is a completely misunderstood noble gentleman. Ian had his morals, and he followed certain rules, but he did have mistresses, and he did gamble, and he spoke plainly of such arrangements in the presence of his friends.

It was nice to see these two childhood enemies coming to realise they didn't actually know each other as well as they thought, and see them gathering forces to overcome the above mentioned twist

I wish I could quote my favourite bits, but they're so spoilery!!
Please take me at my word when I tell you that this book is well worth reading.

If you're in the mood for a funny (and a bit racy), historical romance, with characters who behave in reasonable ways, and a lack of overblown dramatics, then this is the book for you!

I'm certainly going to have a look at the author's other books!


Katharine Ashe's official site

Buy My Lady, My Lord

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top