Thursday, 13 March 2014

Spin by Bella Love




This is the first book (novella) that I've read by this author. But hopefully, it won't be my last.

Honestly, in the last  couple of days I haven't had any concentration to read.
I pick a book, read a few lines, and not five minutes later I'm up... and doing other stuff, leaving the stories abandoned.
O_o
This was the book, that dragged me out of the reading ~Desert~ that I had fallen into!

Thank you, book! :)

A short novella, this was supposed to be a sexy fast read....
Which it was....alongside many other things. It was also funny, entertaining, insightful... and yes, hot.

This, is how it starts:

THREE TIMES.
In twenty-nine years of living, I’d only let myself get spun up three times.
I almost always regretted it.
Generally, it took a lot to rattle me. Bright smile, white-knuckled control: I was like an iron ball of yarn. That was my way.
It was a pretty good way. Simple too. Just hang on tight, smile like a crazy person, and never let go. It got me places, and I probably shouldn’t have got more than ten miles past my county’s swampy line.
I stayed away from things like alcohol or emotions; neither ever went well for me.

With that last sentence, I was hooked. The writing has that magical realism undertone, even if it never fully resorts to that genre.

The thing is, this story is well written, and unlike the majority of new adult, or erotic books, the main characters aren't idiots!

Well, there's a tiny moment of tstl on Jane's part...

Eleven years is a lonnnnnnng time. In eleven years people may have "decided" to become "active" psychopaths... or cannibals.
So following a guy who you haven't seen in eleven years... o_O

But besides that, it was all good! (Of course, I would have liked if they had told us, in more detail what it was like growing up the way they did. What we are told is very little.)

The characters had such likable voices, that i could just keep on reading this for a little longer!

In fact, if it wasn't for one tiny moment in which a ginger root is used for something besides cooking... I wouldn't even consider this erotica!  Just your average contemporary book with some hot scenes...

“Fine.” I gave the pile of food a swift glance. “Ginger.”
His grin grew. “Good choice.”
My face fell. “You know something to do with ginger?”
He nodded.

The characters maintain a delightful banter throughout the whole book.
Their chemistry is, in a word, perfect.

I roped my fingers through his short hair and tugged.
 “Finn.”
“What?” His voice came up, muffled, from below.
I almost laughed. “What are you doing down there?”
“What do you think I’m doing?”

Finn...
Well, he's pretty much a perfect guy all wrapped up in a bow.

I KEPT OUR fingers entwined as I led her inside, partly because I didn’t want her to fall over and partly because I was afraid she might bolt.

He's considerate, attentive...

“You know you could do anything, Jane, right?”

He's there for when Jane needs him.
But it's her call, he doesn't go around acting like a macho idiot! 


Told in a dual point of view, the author achieved a perfect balance for this type of story.
I loved it.

“You travel with knives?”
“I don’t travel with them. I bought it this afternoon. I didn’t know what you had on hand.”
“A knife? You didn’t think I had a knife here at the house?”
(..)
“It’s ceramic.”(..)
She started whacking away at a stalk of celery. “It’s a weakness. I see kitchen equipment, I have to get it.”
“Okay.” I watched her. Her head was bent. Her face was tense.
“We’ve all got weaknesses,” I said slowly. “If yours is knives, we can deal.” I glanced back at the knife. “I think.”
She smiled a little and lifted her head. “I actually have a lot more knives than I need.”
“You probably shouldn’t be telling me this.”

Finn's has a sense of humour and he doesn't take himself too seriously. Just what a workaholic needs, lol
 Of course, like Jane he also has his insecurities.

I looked down and saw her staring blankly at my shoulder. I could almost hear the whirr of gears in her head. I rocked my hips some more, she rocked back absently.
“Want some popcorn?” I asked.
Her eyes snapped to mine. “Sorry?”
“Popcorn. For the show.”

Also I liked how the author didn't try to resolve every single problem in the last pages.
The problem that Jane faces in her work, for instance. Most of us know how sexual harassment charges are dealt. We don't need to be a target to know it.

In another book, another author would probably give this problem a white knight solution (her bf/fiancée husband who is this big shot, would probably financially terminate the weasel and all would be good. Or he would beat the crap out of the bastard and get arrested. You see where I am going?)

This doesn't happen here.

Instead, a very difficult situation is used to give Jane's life a new direction... if she chooses to.
Of course I wouldn't mind, if in a following book, the guy would fall off a cliff...
But yes, the path chosen by the author felt more realistic.

In the end, a story I loved to read. A book I definitely recommend. And characters that I hope seeing again.


Buy "Spin":


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top