Saturday, 5 July 2014

Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) by Rachel Hawkins






 

An incredibly funny story!
I've read the complaints regarding this book: riddled with clichés, an unoriginal story, etc etc.
But those are reasons why I liked the book!

Sophie is sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for witches and warlocks who have misused their powers. 
Hex Hall is pretty much what you'd expect for the genre: a school filled with shapeshifters, witches, warlocks, a few vampires... and a mystery.

I really can't say I predicted how the mystery was solved nor its outcome, so that's a plus. 

The book was extremely funny, Sophie is an excellent narrator, very relatable, likeable, and never tstl.

So why the 3,5 stars?
There were a few things I dislike about the book: Girl on girl hate, and a lot of it at that. A weird romantic interest, I really cannot deal with protagonists falling in love with people who are blatantly dangerous for them - that's not the message you should pass in YA books. And a hint of a love triangle in the future...

Still it was a very entertaining read - I think this will be perfect for fans of The Princess Diaries.

My heartfelt thanks to Susana, who gifted me this book for my birthday!!!


Rachel Hawkins' blog

Buy Hex Hall
@ The Book Depository (with free worldwide delivery!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top