Friday, 22 August 2014

Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3) by Rachel Hawkins




Oh, dear...
As much as it pains me to only give 2.5 stars to this book, considering how much I like its main character, in order to keep the rating for the two previous two books  real and accurate, two and a half will just have to do...

In case this has passed unnoticed, I love Sophie Mercer' character!
She is witty, funny, courageous, and when she was presented in the first book, well recurring to a cliché, she was a complete "breath of fresh air" in the ya genre!
I loved it!
Unfortunately a book can't live of sarcasm and snark only.

And in these last two books, it seems that the only thing that has been properly developed are Sophie's puns and witticisms....which are great..unless when they become a little too much!
Getting back to something that I just mentioned in Demon Glass' review is the fact, that everything about the plot happens too quickly!! It is like an instantaneous...soup! :/
Most things in this plot just lack basic development. Look I am all in favour of not dragging things forever, and ever...but one has to reach some sort of balance. Which Spell Bound completely skipped.
Minus one star for that...

 Then there was the unnecessary and once again, hastily resolved love triangle, that was just...lame.
When to that, one adds some cheesy soap opera scenes, it was just too much.

Bottom Line: Hex Hall, the first, will always be one of my to go books whenever I am in the mood to read something funny. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about this one.

However I am currently reading "School Spirits" the Hex Hall "spin-off", and so far so good ;)
Of course so far, I've only read 10%.

Author's Official Tumblr


Buy (better yet borrow a friend's copy! ;) Spell Bound:
@Bookdepository.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top