Saturday, 24 January 2015

Once and Always by Elizabeth Hoyt writing as Julia Harper




Arc provided by Forever (Grand Central Publishing) through Netgalley

Release Date: February 24th

This was basically an okay read...
The beginning was great in a "I don't ever want to stop reading it" that kind of great.
Great chemistry between the two leading characters, plus a great number of diverse characters led me to expect a different kind of story: one that I would have devoured in one sitting.

Unfortunately, after a strange and silly situation of exchanged luggages, Sam and May find themselves stuck in a somewhat stereotyped eighties romance: Sam ends up being a little too Neanderthal for my tastes.
He likes to boss around and especially favourites the word "Mine".
You see where this is going...

As to May or Maisa, I found her a little lacking in character development. In the end I wanted more from her that simply her bouts of bad humour.

The secondary characters were okay, but with the exception of Karl's with his man-bro thoughts, they really weren't that memorable.

The thriller parts weren't that engaging, and the hot and steamy ones _ I can't believe I am going to say this _ although extremely hot, ended up being tiresome in a plot that had little else to give, you know?
The thing is, when the story starts, Sam and May already have _or had _ a story, so we're not able to see those first moments in their relationship and, for me, their romance feels somewhat lacking because of that.
Maybe if the story had been cut shorter I wouldn't feel this way, but as it was, I was more than ready to be done with it.

In the end this ended up having one too many too stupid to live moments, more appropriate to a new adult story, than an adult romantic contemporary romance.

The writing however was flawless as is normal with Elizabeth Hoyt's novels.




Pre-order it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top