Friday, 20 February 2015

The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales by Franz Xaver Von Schonwerth



Arc provided by Penguin Classics through Netgalley

Release Date: February 24 th
 
"The newly discovered Fairy Tales" part in the title, was what made me request this...since I am a fairy tale addict.
Unfortunately, what I discovered was a confusing mishmash of other well known fairy-tales_ at least the first twenty that I read...
My mistake: I thought I would be reading original fairy tales and not adaptations of Perrault's and The Grimm Brothers' tales. Only these have male characters in the leading roles.

I could keep on reading this, but life is too short, and I am already familiar with most of them...

Bottom Line: Nothing wrong with it _ I wasn't crazy about the dispassionate writing style _ it's German, so most tales are bloody and gory, so better read it yourself and grab some other book for the kids.

What the Guardian says about it

Buy " The Turnip Princess"
Bookdepository.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top