Wednesday, 17 June 2015

The Vanishing Season by Jodi Lynn Anderson





This is a tough story to review.
First of all forget all about what you've just read in the synopsis. Dismiss the title _ at least this one, because the English edition "The Moment Collector" is way more appropriate _ and prepare yourself to read an ya coming of age romance.

This is a character driven story and the characters are extremely well done, but through most of the tale... nothing particularly relevant happens.

The drowning girls is just something that happens outside of this story sphere of influence. A little like a prop. It goes "well" with all that white background of frozen lakes and bleak atmosphere.

The ghost?
See it as another character. It appears from time to time with its beautiful, sad and atmospheric prose.

"All I know for sure is that I’m timeless: I drift in and out of the past as easily as if I were walking from one room to another. Moments reach out and pull me in. Without meaning to, I’ve visited centuries in this very same spot."

It doesn't know who he or she was.
Neither do we. The only thing we know for sure is that the ghost feels a connection with Maggie, Pauline and Liam. The three main characters of the story.

Rarely I've read a more heartbreaking relationship that the one that will be formed by these three elements. In fact I don't think I'll ever forget it. It made me rant out loud. It left me sad.
It freaking broke my heart.

Now I have to address something that normally sends me into a rage. This story has a love triangle, but it ends up being a viable love triangle. Unlike many others that I've read, it isn't there only to fill the pages. It feels real.

Were it for the very last part of the story, for the intensity it has, this would get at least a four star rating. However like I've already mentioned, through most of the tale nothing particularly relevant happens. Maybe if the apparent thriller _ a murderer on the lose _ had been an active part in the story, this would have felt more complete.
Bottom line: This is actually a good book, but I doubt it is what you're expecting to get.

Author's Official Publisher page

Buy " The Moment Collector"
Bookdepository.com

or Pre-Order the paperback edition (well, there's also a Hardback edition!)
But they're really expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top