Thursday, 22 October 2015

Love Show by Audrey Bell





With a good editor this could be a five star story.
Despite that, this was actually one of the best stories I've read this year. I don't know why it surprised me, but it did.

The thing becomes even more surprising, since this is a new adult story, and I normally have the worst luck with those. I think this is probably the second NA that I've liked, so far.

The thing that makes "Love Show" a great story, besides the characters (Hadley, Jack and David) and their interactions, are the dialogues.

I loved the dialogues.
~I'm a sucker for intelligent and witty dialogues. Or monologues.~

"It was eight o’clock in the morning. I told myself that civilized people woke up at eight o’clock, which meant I was allowed to disturb the uncivilized people who were still sleeping. Maybe teach them some good habits."

I loved the fact that the author didn't use the same old clichés to represent college life ( well, at least the college life that is mainly represented in YA books).
There's no slut shaming.
No over-abundance of angst.
We get a main character who feels real: someone that doesn't forget her friends, or her work just because she finds someone she likes.

There's a friendship relationship that is just as important as the romance.
The romance between Jack and Hadley was sweet, cute and hot. Their chemistry was off the charts.

Then unlike what normally happens in this type of stories, one gets actual portraits of real life. Towards the end of the book when we got to read about an event that took place in Syria, it was like I was seeing it once again: the images that passed on TV of the chemical attack.
It was once again heartbreaking to "witness it".

But I liked how the author didn't try to turn Hadley into some sort of hero. She ends up being just someone who is passionate about her beliefs.
In the end, my favourite part has to be the fact that Hadley keeps herself faithful to whom she was.
Definitely recommended and a book that I would love to buy in paperback.


I can only hope that the author decides to publish her books once again, and that a paperback edition will become available in the future.

Author's Bio on Goodreads

Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top