Friday, 4 December 2015

The Seventh Bride by T. Kingfisher




Another day, another retelling. This one vaguely based on the Bluebeard tale...
It has a miller's daughter as the main character and a resourceful hedgehog as the cute sidekick.

Thing is, despite my attempt at lightness, this story couldn't be further away from it.
The writing may feel a little too plain at times _ for which reason I took a star from the final rating _ and the character may feel a little too young, but once again _ read my review of Bryony and Roses _ I feel that this book should be directed at an older crowd.

There's scenes in this that could make it a home in a horror tale.

However despite praising the story's worth, I just couldn't connect with the characters.
Yes, at first glance everything seems to be there: the main characters are a group of very different women. Yes, they form a friendship of a kind to escape their captor, but, I don't know... I guess they felt very one dimensional.
The focus of the tale, it is on the story, and as such, I was left feeling as if any character could represent the roles that needed to be played.
The characters are not that memorable.

On the positive side, I liked how there wasn't any stupid new adult vibe of "oh, let's try to romanticize to bastard who has all of us captives".
 -____________-
Unfortunately it bears saying, since there appears to be a current trend to brainwash girls/woman's brains into seeing abusive jackasses as romantic types.

Bottom line, it was a good story, but if I had to chose between this one and T. Kingfisher's other book that I've recently read, I would still go with "Bryony and Roses".

Author's Official Site

BookDepository.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top