Sunday, 4 September 2016

The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan #1) by Kelly Gay




Figures that I'd finally find an absolute jewel of a UF series and it's one that's been dropped by its publisher...

Still, I must rejoice, I suppose, because after a long and arduous journey through a bunch of 1-star rated PRs I finally found this series!

Charlie is a 31 year old single mother struggling with PTSD and basically trying to live a normal life.

It's so refreshing not to encounter the usually 20-something year old with tragic backstory and who is just ~special~.

Charlie has normal worries: how to deal with her ex-husband, how to balance work life with raising a kid, grocery shopping, and trying to best she can be.

She's so mature!
I love how sensible she is, the no-nonsense and practical way she approaches her problems, the absolute lack of immature drama in her relationships: she has a stellar relationship with her sister, a solid friendship with her partner, and she does her best to have a civil and healthy relationship with her ex-husband.
More than any magical powers this sets her apart from all other UF heroines.

Not that she doesn't have powers, but she deals with them in a way normal people would - not the "I should use these powers to save the world," but "Yeah, I don't want this, it's a hassle, I just want to live my life."

The plot is interesting, but it gets minus 1 star for dropping the reader with no clue in the middle of the action. Yes, it's all explained later, and this being left clueless and in the dark is an important plot point, but I did not like it, it was incredibly frustrating.

Anyway, all in all, I really recommend this book!



Kelly Gay's official website

Buy The Better Part of Darkness 
@ The Book Depository (with free worldwide delivery!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top