Saturday, 13 May 2017

No Greater Glory by Cindy Nord





I've just re-read Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell and, racist as both the book and the author obviously are/were, you can't deny that's it's well researched and it draws you in and keeps you reading.

Now, I'm not going to compare No Greater Glory to Gone With the Wind, it'd be an unfair comparison, what with this being a romance book with no great aspirations besides entertaining the reader.

But having read Gone With The Wind I became aware of all the rules of society going on at the time. 
And the characters from No Greater Glory behave in a way that wouldn't be acceptable even during my grandmother's time, let alone during the civil war.
For instance, Reece, the enemy, invades Emaline's house, takes her food and supplies, then asks if he may call her by her first name. She, a southern widow from a great plantation, just says yes and starts calling him - a Yankee - by his first name as well. 

Not to mention that their relationship was instant lust, not exactly what one would expect from a woman whose home is being invaded by enemies...

All of that I could excuse but the book was endlessly boring. 
It rarely takes me more than one day to read a book - it took me 3 days to read this one!

It literally only picked up by the 82% mark. I honestly don't know how I made it that far...

It's not badly written or anything, it's just boring.

So, I don't know, maybe it just didn't work for me, but it'll work for other readers?
Give it a try, I guess.


Cindy Nord's official site

Buy No Greater Glory
@ The Book Depository (with free worldwide delivery!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top